Some time ago Apple was rumored to buying Lytro, an innovative digital camera startup that produces unique “light field” cameras. The purchase never happened although we wouldn’t be surprised if it came about at some point in the future.
Until then you can try Lytro technology for just $69 including shipping – down from $199. And even that former price is amazing because Lytro’s most recent models retail for $499 and $1,499!
What’s special about Lyto cameras? They don’t focus. Instead, they capture ALL light coming into the camera. You focus on your subject in the software app later on. This means you really can point and shoot without thinking about it, and can also achieve some impressive depth-of-field blurring effects too.
For example, if you focus on a child riding a bike and include a flowerpot in the frame, you can choose to focus on either the flowerpot or the bike – or both. Or perhaps focus on the rooftop in the distance, or the bird flying above…
Here’s what Lytro themselves say:
Most cameras capture the position of light rays, producing your average static 2D image. The Lytro dares to be different. Its cutting-edge technology records the direction of these rays, generating images you can later refocus, change perspective within, or view in 3D. You can essentially revisit the scene of the photo—meaning you’ll never miss snapping the perfect shot again.
- Take “living pictures” you can adjust afterwards
- Refocus your shots, change their perspective & view them in 3D
- Record 11-million light rays in each scene
- Store up to 750 photos at one time
- Easily carry it anywhere: design is compact, durable & lightweight
- Shoot photos at an optimal resolution for sharing online
- Access an array of tools including photo filters & uploading software
This is a superb camera, using amazing technology, at a jaw-dropping price. There’s nothing to lose.